Tuesday, February 5, 2013

First thoughts on Spanish life... and a fun afternoon!

Culture shock. Yes, it's happening. I never thought the day would come. But don't get me wrong it's not a bad culture shock at all, I'm loving it! But here are some of my observations and thoughts on what I have experienced so far...

1. Breakfast consists of pan (bread) in the early morning. With coffee or whatever hot beverage you prefer. That is all. If you know me at all, I am a BIG fan of breakfast and not only because it's the "most important meal of the day" but because I genuinely love breakfast foods.
Then, comes lunch. Lunch is not at 11, not at 12, but at around 2:30 or 3pm. It is in fact the biggest meal of the day and come lunch time I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. It is always delicious in this household.
Dinner is at 9 or 10. LATE. The first few days I swear I was hungry every single minute of the day. Eating time in Spain is just so different. 
Of course, one can find many restaurants and cafes around to comer tapas and tomar un café (eat tapas and drink coffee) but I haven't instilled that into my schedule yet.

2. IT IS COLD. HACE MUY FRIO (IT IS VERY COLD!) Anyone who knows me knows that I am a HUGE wimp when it comes to cold weather. This is because I grew up in very tropical places all my life! No snow or long cold wet winters for me, ever. Ergo I have a cold, as a I mentioned in my last post. I feel like a marshmallow everyday and I really hope it warms up soon. I'm not complaining I promise. I'm just praying to the spirits.
And, people in Spain don't normally leave the heat on for too long or at all.

3. Spanish women are sassy. It might come off as mean but it's plain simple sass. I am intimidated and at the same time awed. I can barely finish a sentence before being cut off... it's not rude it's just the way they are! Habla muy rápido (They talk very fast).

4. Pan (bread) at every meal. It's glorious.

5. Coffee is delicious here. Un café con leche (coffee with milk)...mmm so yummy.

6. In addition to the cold, the weather is also very dry and windy. Makes for constantly chapped lips.

7. Water from tap is drinkable. Love it!

And I'm probably missing some more observations and comments but that's all for now. More to come, for sure. Also I have to say that these solely reflect my personal opinions (and nobody else's) and I have no idea if it's true or not.

Yesterday, Pablo and I went on a little adventure around el barrio de Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz area). There are these tiny very narrow streets that have been around forever. There are also pretty little patios as well. It's amazing to think people actually live in these places. There were barely anybody around the little alley ways and it was so serene and tranquil.





I also like to take pictures with interesting doors and colorful walls. 


Afterwards, we sat by our bridge El Puente de Triana. How beautiful does that look?! I LIVE HERE! I totally think that Sevilla may be the most romantic place on Earth. More romantic than Paris?! I can't say for sure as I have never been to Paris but I think it might be so. Sevilla is my kind of city: small (but big enough to get lost), tranquil, serene, beautiful. It feels familiar already... yet there is still so much to discover.


This spot is quickly becoming my favorite in Sevilla. Just look at the lights and the reflection in the water. How could I not fall in love with it?
There is so much walking around Sevilla and I am loving it. Every turn in a corner is another beautiful street to behold. It makes for meaningful conversation and it's funny how just simply talking for a few hours while strolling along the city can cause a friendship to blossom so quickly.

Until next time. Besitos. 


No comments: