Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James. But why?
The first time I actually heard of Fifty Shades was, of course, on Facebook. A girl who had taken a photo of the book got a slew of comments on it and instantly I was curious. I googled it ASAP and yes, it did make my eyebrows go up a little. When I passed a bookstore a few days later, I picked the first one up, and a week and a half later - I was done with the entire trilogy. Yes I will admit I was, in fact, hooked, and really enjoyed it.
My take on it is that the latest sensation that is Fifty Shades is just really a delicious soft-core novel for young adults and even moms. Just open the book to a random section and you'll be sucked into the middle of a gloriously explicit sex scene. The story tells of a recent college graduate, Anastasia Steele, who meets the impossibly twisted and handsome 27 year-old billionaire that is Christian Grey. Anastasia, a clumsy, lip-biting, and most importantly, virginal girl falls in love with Christian Grey, who doesn't make love, oh no, but "fucks..hard." Not only that, he is especially interested in S&M and BDSM.
Honestly, when I was reading the book, there were so many elements of the book that reminded me of Twilight, and after reading some reviews on the web, alas, Fifty Shades was in fact initially just fan fiction based on the Twilight series. Now, however, the trilogy has sold more than half a million copies in the UK alone, and topped the New York bestsellers list.
But of course, there are many negative arguments on the book - its underdeveloped characters, unrealistic storyline, the bad messages the story sends on love/sex/women, etc... and yes, to me, they are all valid points.
However, if you are like me, and cannot resist the latest hype of a good read, then I recommend you pick up a copy and indulge yourself in Mr. Grey. Even if you find yourself scoffing at the storyline, I guarantee it will have some effect on you. I mean, the fact that it's making women worldwide flush crimson on the bus or at home must mean something!

No comments:
Post a Comment