Tuesday, December 25, 2012

a great quote from a great book

If you have not read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, you're missing out. It is my favorite book of all time and I've probably read it close to 10 times. So on the flight home of course I brought it with me and each time I read it, I find more ways to fall in love with it again. For example, this quote --

          "What is it? My dear?"
          "Ah, how can we bear it?"
          "Bear what?"
          "This. For so short a time. How can we sleep this time
 away?"
          "We can be quiet together, and pretend - since it is only the 
beginning - that we can have all the time in the world." 
          "And every day we shall have less. And the none."
          "Would you rather, therefore, have had nothing at all?"
          "No. This is where I have always been coming to. Since my
time began. And when I go away from here, this will be the 
mid-point, to which everything ran, before, and from which 
everything will run. But now, my love, we are here, we are now, 
and those other times are running elsewhere."

- A. S. Byatt,  Possession





Images via google.

No comments: